Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rants

I am probably the only Iowa Democrat to say I like Christopher Rants.  I don't agree with him on, well, anything.  But he's a true believer.  He's the bomb thrower of the Iowa Republican party... but I'll give him credit; there's usually at a least spark where he wants to set a fire.

Rants was Speaker of the House until Republicans lost their majority in 2006.  He was minority leader until this week when he lost the job to Kraig Paulsen of Linn County. 

I've never met Mr. Paulsen but being the news geek I am I've heard him many times on WMT from 4-6.  He's thoughtful, thoroughly conservative, but has always indicated a willingness to work with Democrats.

I find the switch interesting.  I can see Iowa house Republicans saying, "We tried it the Rants way for three election cycles and saw our numbers dwindle.  Let's go a different direction." 

Now that Dems have a solid 56-44 majority in the house they don't need Republican votes for anything.   Paulsen may be able to convince them that they want Republican votes.

Iowa can only be better for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment