Monday, November 17, 2008

It's 10PM... do you know where your leader is?

I asked each of my classes if they knew where the leader of the UAE is today. None did. (He's at Camp David visiting President Bush.) I pointed out that the U.S. welcomes many foreign leaders to the White House but only special guests are invited to Camp David. This is the second time Sheik Nahyan has been to Camp David this year.

I don't blame my students; the press here didn't cover it. When I mentioned I bought a newspaper and there was no story about the Sheik's trip a student said, "Maybe it was covered in a different newspaper."

Update: My students today informed that it was the brother, the Crown Prince, that was in the US. They both have the last name Nahyan, but the ruler is Sheikh Khalifa, the one visiting the US was Sheikh Mohammed.

I stand corrected!

No comments:

Post a Comment