Thursday, June 11, 2009

Student Evaluations

Today I received my student evaluations from the fall semester. I could have received them earlier if I had asked for them, but given how the fall semester went, I was in no hurry to get them.

The numbers were fine - pretty much at the university average. I'm used to better evaluations but, again, given the problems I had I am stunned they turned out this well. The comments are always are my favorite. I'll give a sample here copied and pasted exactly as they wrote them.

The good:

  • SIR STEVEN IT IS THE BUST SIR FAR AS I CAN SAY FOR HIM .
  • I LOVE THIS SUBJUCTIVE COUZ OF HIM
  • he is fantastic
  • THIS SIR IS THE BEST
  • He is honestly the best teacher ever and you will know this from other students as well.

The bad:

  • for me their is no thing positive in this course

A quarter of the comments were in Arabic. I suspect there were more negative ones in there.

The huh?:

  • learn new english word
  • hoe to become trust
  • teacher is very cool he love his students as thire brother

And my favorite:

  • need to take the lecture more seriously and stop drinking while explaning

I can’t believe I’ve been busted. I thought I kept my drinking secret!

4 comments:

  1. There's an exceptional politeness here. EVERY question is prefaced with "Sir" or "Doctor". (I have told my classes I am not a doctor.)

    I told one class, "Please, call me 'Steve'. A few bold students did but most started me "Sir Steve" or "Doctor Steve".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does "Mr." apply here? Couldn't they call you Mr. Kranz?
    Or maybe you could have them call you "Your highness?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cracked me up, Steve! Don't you just love how all males are elevated to knighthood here, whilst all females become the owners of houses of ill repute!?!

    ReplyDelete