Saturday, June 6, 2009

1000 posts

1000 posts is a milestone. Last August I figured I'd start the blog, reassure everyone that I was safe and all was well in the UAE and I'd stop. Instead, the blogging pace picked up and with March Madness there were 163 posts - pretty much 5 per day. I've tried to calm down a bit since then.

So if you are one of the very few who has actually read all 1000 posts... wow. I have no idea what to say.

For this momentous occasion I present to you:


A giant milkweed.

Growing up on a farm in Iowa we spent a good part of our summers walking soybean fields to kill the weeds. (Today they've developed better herbicides and nobody "walks the beans" anymore.) The two worse plants to come across were cockle bur plants and milkweeds. Cockle burs had to be pulled up by hand because they'd grow back. Milkweeds were disgusting because of the sticky milky substance you'd get all over your hands.

I had no know idea the plant could grow to the size of a tree.

The branches are like wood. The window to the right is the back of one of my classrooms. While I'm giving a lecture I gaze at the giant milkweed. Occasionally, I break my train of thought by thinking, "That's one big frickin' milkweed. Oh, right, back to break-even analysis..."

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've missed any of your blogs and neither have several other people i know. It lets me know you're well and happy and I feel I have constant contact with you. I miss you and so does Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've been a faithful reader too, and haven't missed a one. But you can keep your milkweed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will admit that I read in bursts, about once a week I catch up. Does this count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel slighted. I read all 1,000 and all I get is a picture of Milkweed? I refuse to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine Robby, be that way. I challenge you to find a similar milkweed plant in Iowa. Milkweeds are abundant. I know, I've killed hundreds. But nowhere have I seen anything the likes of this.

    So scoff at it if you must, but then consider the real beauty of the giant milkweed.

    ReplyDelete