Sunday, June 7, 2009

An ode to Chip: Nerd is now cool

A while back I posted an explanation of Geek vs. nerd with reasoning that I'm a geek, not nerd. In my heart I knew it was a cop out. It's a like a guy telling his wife he's bi to get acceptance of his attraction to other men. In reality he's saying, "I'm gay, sorry I tried to fake it with you."
Chip sent this piece below. He's politely telling me I'm more of a nerd than I'd care to admit. Geeks, denying there inner nerddom are the same way. I celebrate and applaud Chip. A nerd who accepts who he is. His post on my blog brought me to tears in laughter:
We (my people) have forsaken "geek" and moved onto nerd to describe ourselves... The reason is that geek became chic, and now people who just feel like they are unique consider themselves geeks. Those people don't deserve to call themselves "our" word... We were beaten and made fun of for years and called that name in a hateful tone, now everyone wants to use the word.
On behalf of the downtrodden I should happily accept the label nerd.

Oh, but I don't have to, as the nobel laurette says, we are all nerds now.

I'm staying a geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment