Friday, June 5, 2009

Bangladeshi McGyver

Yesterday's attempt to find a truck to move my garage sale purchases was futile. Last night a friend suggested I use workers who had helped her. She gave them a call. Whammo! Problem solved. Not only did they get everything moved here (dishwasher, cabinets, dining room table) but they also put up the rest of my curtains and wired my stove (for months I've been using matches to light my gas stove).

Tomorrow they'll be back to install the dishwasher. The main guy got the lights working on the Coke machine and says he knows someone to recharge the compressor.

In total it was four guys putting in four hours of labor each. The charge? $75. I paid $125. For 16 hours of work and getting a truck I got a bargain and they were very, very happy.

It's hard to explain but with his little toolbox he fixed a ton of problems in my poorly constructed place. He even offered to fix the eternal light but I turned him down. The university is going to fix it or pay my light bill until they do.

At one point he asked if I had tinfoil. "Sure," I said. He wrapped the tinfoil around a fuse and explained, "The fuse is only 12 amps but the power is 19 amps." So I guess the tinfoil is going to act as a conduit... I'm no electrician, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of a fuse? Don't worry, that's for the oven and the only thing I'll be using electricity for there is lighting the stove.

*****
This will be my only post tonight because my internet is down. The nice couple across the way was kind enough to let me tap into their connection. Tomorrow I get to deal with cable company to find out why. That should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment