Monday, June 29, 2009

30 days and counting

At this time in thirty days I'll be in Atlanta. While I'm not exactly homesick, I am very ready to come home. The feeling is not helped by my classes.

In teaching there are classes you love. You look forward to class and it always interesting. There are classes you hate - usually because one or two make the class insufferable. And then there are classes that where time moves in slow motion.

This summer my four hours of class seem more like eight. The students are fine. There is simply no input. With 40 students in each class nobody is willing to talk. Imagine four hours of just me. Even worse, imagine four hours of just me while English is not your native language!

*****
Please let me know if you have any requests of items from the UAE. I'm headed to Dubai on Friday to shop. (Mike says there's a Virgin store that sells Coke plates.)

When I leave it will be 173 days straight in this country. So today it's 143 down, 30 to go. I'm counting each and every day.

3 comments:

  1. Well, what are my chances of actually seeing you this time? I won't make a request if there isn't much of one!

    I will definitely be in Iowa the weekend of the 14th for a Burke gathering - I'm assuming you'll still be in Iowa at that time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karey - For some it is even worse here. "What does 'red' mean?"

    Sandy - That weekend is very bad Friday and Saturday. Will you still be around on Sunday for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not - we will take off after breakfast and head to my folks' - at least that is the current plan. However, we will be heading back that way that following weekend (22nd/23rd). I am guessing that is when you leave though? We will have a 7-hour drive back, so the kids will not be too keen on stopping for long - just an FYI!

    Our plans may change, but it is about the only way we are going to be able to spend a week at my parents' house - which I really, really need to do to help them get some things organized.

    ReplyDelete