Sunday, June 14, 2009

Am I a "great" uncle or just "grand"?

A facebook friend has taken me to task for claiming I'm a great uncle given that my sister's daughter has given birth. To my friend I should be a "grand" uncle. I have never heard the term "grand uncle" but I like it. Why should my sister get to be "Grandma" while I have to be the "great uncle"?

Meanwhile, plenty of pictures have been posted of the little guy and I swear I get a buddhist-zen quality looking at them. In the family relations tree I can see the Hiscock and Simpson family, but I don't see the Kranz family. I'm not complaining. Diana did the British royal family a great service by upgrading their gene pool. I think Gina's done the same for ours!

That leaves the larger question: Am I a "great" or "grand" uncle?

5 comments:

  1. You can be a grand uncle if you like. Remember, Gina looked the most like her dad as a newborn, but as she grew older, her good looks started coming from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want the pedant's answer, it's 'great'. I'm a 'great' aunt, so I know from personal experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't be Creepy Uncle Steve...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did put in an order for a good looking baby and they really came through for me.

    ReplyDelete