Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sundays

Today is the start of the workweek and the first day of summer school.

In between classes I went across campus to pick up my books. On the way back I was in full stride and tripped. I stumbled ten feet (and not slowing down) before I crashed. The result was a patch of skin removed from my left palm and several square inches from my right knee and a pair of slacks destroyed by a rip in the knee. Add to that I was now covered in dust on my right side from head to toe.

These are the types of things Americans expect to happen on Mondays. I asked my class if the same comments are made here about Sundays. They laughed and said it was.

Bringing that up was the only chance I had of restoring credibility. I have seen too much evidence that first impressions are everything. Although I've had some of these students before most are new. Seeing their professor bleeding, with torn pants and covered in dust does not exactly inspire confidence.

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry. I said "ouch" and winced for you. That must have hurt like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon falling, did you look around to make sure no one saw it happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were dozens walking near me. I rarely screw up quietly or privately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing i needed a good giggle!

    ReplyDelete