Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cash for clunkers

My 1991 Buick Park Avenue with over 200,000 miles and no working air conditioner has suddenly become more valuable... About $4500 more valuable.

$4500 is the rebate I'd be eligible for under the new cash-for-clunkers program to encourage people to buy newer, more fuel efficient cars. I've never bought a new car. The notion of losing 30% of the value the minute it leaves the dealer's parking lot is not appealing to me. And, of course, I've never really been able to afford one.

Shaving $4500 off the price makes buying a new car a whole lot more appealing. The fact I won't be in the US much for the next couple of years is a bit of a downer.

But let's pretend: Say I were to be in the market for a reasonably priced new car that has to get pretty good mileage (in order to be eligible). What car would you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Considering maybe you could double up on Hybrid credits, support American cars, support the environment, and get the cash for clunkers certificate I might suggest the Ford Fusion Hybrid. If you're only going to be back in teh summer, I might also suggest a If you want something that isn't jacked up because of its hybrid qualities, I may suggest a Civic.

    ReplyDelete