Friday, May 1, 2009

This is news?

Al Jazeera is going to be available on cable in DC.

I guess I understand why it would be news in America. The Bush Administration portrayed Al Jazeera as the mouthpiece of the enemy because it will transmit the message Osama bin Laden.

I have spent many, many hours watching Al Jazeera. Yes, it is an Arab news channel, but they go out of their way to give alternative points of view. During the Israeli bombing of Palestine the network gave multiple Israeli officials a chance to speak.

To read the US news side of this it is like allowing Russia to start presenting news in the US. As one whose been watching Al Jazeera please trust me that it is not. Al Jazeera is not a harbinger of terrorists and the fact that airing the network in the US is "news" says something sad about my country, not Al Jazeera.

No comments:

Post a Comment