Saturday, May 16, 2009

Does your dog love you?

Eric Zorn of the Chicago Tribune says no. Dogs are simply acting on instinct to show signs that mimic love. He quotes an "expert" who says, "Over 15,000 years of domestication, they've learned to trick us into thinking that they love us." (The link above is a brief story and worth reading.)

I don't agree. Going back to the story of Gabe... If all dogs cared about was food, shelter and someone to pet them, then Gabe would have had no problem staying with me. I purposefully spent as much time with him as possible. He was simply unhappy that he was not with dad.

Perhaps that's simply instinct, but I'll call that love.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. Gabe had an undying love for Merlon. How else do you explain how Gus tried to break the window just to get to you when you came home in January?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story is so bullshit. My children have fed 'my' dog for as long as they were able to carry a can of alpo. (I am a farm girl and a STRONG proponet of children having chores.)

    My dog still loves me. She would throw herself in front of a bus to save Brandon, Bertena, or I.

    Example, when Brandon's dad smacked me across my face, she bit him, then jumped in front of the kids and snarled like a rabid pit bull.

    She knew her 'pack' was endanger and she protected us all.

    I should have know as well as she.

    ReplyDelete