Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star Trek

I went to my first movie in the Emirates. First, to describe the movie experience... I purchased my ticket and was allowed to pick my seat. They have reserved seating, which I kinda like. The theater was maybe 20% full, this is Star Trek after all. For some reason four guys chose seats right next to me. I don't mind sitting next to someone in a theater, but Emiratis wear a lot of cologne. Some wear it so thick you have to gasp for air. These guys had it on strong but I was able to breathe. Emiratis drive like maniacs, think nothing of budging in line but are unbelievably nice. It's a contradiction in character I may never understand. The guy sitting next to me offered his popcorn and that's not something anyone has done in the states.

During the movie I realized that I didn't even notice the Arabic subtitles until 2o minutes in. I've become very used to it on TV. When I first arrived I found it distracting. What I will always find distracting is people talking during a movie. Near the end of the movie a group on the other side of theater were talking non-stop. An usher who stood in the theater the entire time - also something we don't have in the US - did nothing.

Now to the movie. I think The Onion sums it up well:

The movie was pretty good. Three things bothered me but Chip’s probably the only reader of this blog who would care. I’ll spare the rest of you.

In an opening scene they show Iowa (remember, Kirk is born in Iowa). I said to the Emirati next to me, “That’s my home! I’m from Iowa.” I happened to be wearing an Iowa t-shirt that confirmed my claim. He faked a happiness for me that I appreciated.

Ten seconds later Kirk crashes his Corvette into a canyon. We have canyons in Iowa?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes we do have canyons. Apparently you've been gone longer than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the future, everything has canyons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We have canyons in Iowa?"

    Ha. That's what I said to Peggy. I figured maybe it was supposed to represent Mason City, because it's become such a hole.

    ReplyDelete