Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cultural faux paus of the day

I was talking to a colleague about how much I love the McArabia. I described it as "like a gyro, but with chicken." He was puzzled... I began explaining what a gyro was. He let me go on for a while before he smiled and I realized I was somehow making an ass of myself but not exactly sure how.

"I am from Turkey," he said, "and because we don't like the Greeks we have to pretend we don't know what gyros are. In my country they are called doner kebaps."

My first thought was that we don't have any crazy food naming issues like that in the US. Then I remembered Republicans demanding to have the name "french fries" be changed to "American Fries" after the French refused to support the Iraq invasion.

Yep, equally stupid.

Update: Thanks to the comment, I stand corrected. I knew when I wrote "American Fries" something was not quite right. American Fries are those thick (too potatoey) wedges that nobody really likes. The push was for them to be called "Freedom Fries." My defense is that I honestly try to forget the really stupid acts by our government over the past eight years, including Iraq, torture, freedom fries, Terry Schiavo, and the eminently qualified Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers.

1 comment:

  1. Actually Steve, I think it was a big push to call them "feedom fries", even more stupid. I don't think the US of Obesity wanted fries to be our symbol of freedom. Damn GOP. Thank god that didn't catch on.

    ReplyDelete