Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Directions to my place

I used this picture in my post this weekend that proved I'm no Dr. Seuss. Someday I have to take pictures of my new neighborhood. Our apartments are the only apartments in this area. The rest of the housing is very large walled-off villas. Large extended families tend to live in these compounds. Last term I had a student describe her home as 11 siblings, two married with kids living in, grandparents, four maids and a driver all living under one roof all living in the same compound.  Often the drivers and groundskeepers live in tiny shacks.  Having non-family men living in the house would not be acceptable.

All they were missing was the partridge and pear tree.

Us apartment dwellers are, once again, the mostly white, mostly western trash of the neighborhood. I am certain the neighbors were not happen they saw apartments being built. "Here it starts. Foreigners moving next door."

Anyhow, in giving directions to my place I say, "turn left at the big, ugly yellow house." So far my few friends have found their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment