Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gabe

Dog lovers will appreciate this story. It reminded me of Gabe. My family has always had dogs and we've been pretty fortunate that they've been good dogs. But Gabe was a special black lab. His loyalty to dad was beyond any I've seen in any dog. If I'd pet him he'd look back at dad... like he was seeking approval. If dad so much as moved an inch Gabe would dump me to see what was up.

I joked that if dad died we'd have bury Gabe with him because that's what Gabe would want.

A few times I dog sat while mom and dad traveled. Gabe wouldn't eat and he basically moped around. Gabe was only truly happy when he was with dad. Eventually Gabe succumbed to age and, like the dog in the story, had trouble standing or walking on linoleum. Good pain killers helped for a few years but it was tragic to watch a noble dog slowly deteriorate. The day finally came where dad could not let his love for his dog exceed the need for ending his best friend's pain.

Like "Bob" in the story, Gabe has gone to the place where good dogs go.

4 comments:

  1. Often times slightly jaded folks will snicker at my company's slogan, "Where pets are family." For those of us who have experienced the relationship that your dad and Gabe had, we know that it's true. They really are part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember when Dad had his bypass. Gabe moped around and one day I asked the nurse if there was anyway that we could let Gabe see Dad. Gabe new something was up because I drove Dad's van to the hospital, but the best part was when they roled Dad down to the front entrance where Gabe and I waited. I could not hold Gabe back, but the nurse could not hold Dad either. It was like the whole world stopped for them, and we didn't even exist. The funny thing was that Gabe was not the same dog on the way home, it was like he was smiling knowing that Dad was okay. He sat in the front seat of the van and stared out the window with his tongue out and a smirk on his face. I miss that poop head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great tribute to Gabe. I don't think even if I had a chance to go through life I would ever find another Gabe and that's not fair to any other dogs I might have. He would always have me holding him to the standard. I just want you to know that Gus and I have gotten so close that If something ever happened to either of us the same might happen. He has really became my side kick.

    Thanks again for the tribute to Gabe. Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corona is my "Gabe". I got her from the pound when my ex husband and I were only dating. He told me when I wanted her that he wasn't going to let me have "a 90 DOLLAR mangy dog that was going to die!" Well it is 13 years later and I don't have the husband but I STILL have the dog!

    I will be a reck when she decides to leave me.

    ReplyDelete