Thursday, May 7, 2009

Steak and mushrooms

One of the best steaks I’ve ever had was at my nephew’s wedding rehearsal dinner in Rochester. They served a medium-rare tenderloin on a bed of morel mushrooms. If I was sentenced to die and had a choice for a last meal, this would be it.

Aaron and Peggy’s wedding was just past mushroom season, so I don’t know if I simply lucked out and the rest of the year they serve regular boring mushrooms or if they have a way of preserving the mushrooms year round.

At a time when I can not get either a good steak or morel mushrooms topics like this loom in my mind. I was searching for the “Steak, it’s what’s for dinner” commercial. I didn’t find it but I did get the music. (Ignore the obnoxious light bulbs.)

7 comments:

  1. I had Morel Mushrooms at a B & B in Keosauqua, Iowa in November once. There is a way to keep them.

    Obviously I was speechless. I'm pretty sure I had to change my pants.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Morels I had the other day were very tasty. I have frozen some in the past. First lay them out to dry off, then proceed to dip in egg yokes and cracker crumbs, lay flat on a plate and put a ziplock bag around them. And freeze. When feeling the want pull them out of freezer and fry up like normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you do all of the breading before freezing them. Hmmm. I haven't heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where was this great dinner in Rochester? I didn't think the restaurants were all that great there until we moved and are now about 20 miles from any kind of decent restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The restaurant was Michaels. I know it well because we had to pay the bill...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah. Michaels is a good place - we rarely went there unless it was a work function. I thought that might be the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't tell my dad that he didn't create the best steak you've ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete