Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Student quote of the day

Last year my boss kindly let me focus on getting adjusted and didn't ask me to advise students registering for classes. As I'm now a "veteran" I've been meeting with students for the past week.

Student: This is your first time advising, isn't it?
Me: Yes.
Student: It shows.

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. Literally. It's a first to have a student with near perfect English also able to make such a cutting comment. I almost felt like I was back home dealing with students in the US.

My advisee realized she had insulted me and started to apologize. I interrupted her:

Me: It's OK... I know I'm new. I'm trying not to screw this up. What made it so obvious to you?
Student: You are asking questions. Our previous advisors sign our papers and we leave.

Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment