Sunday, November 1, 2009

I know 98% of my regular blog readers couldn't care less about the House race in New York. But man, this is a great race to watch.

First, Republicans dump more than a million dollars into the race and the NRA and Newt endorse the Republican candidate.

Then the right wing starts to attack because she's not conservative enough. They support the Conservative party candidate who doesn't even live in the district.

Then Republicans trip over themselves to endorse the Conservative party candidate and support for the Republican drops to 20% in the polls.

Then the Republican drops out.

Then wow, oh wow, this is why I love politics... the Republican endorses the Democrat in the race.

You just can't make this shit up.

At this point the money has to be on the Conservative party guy in this very conservative district. But what does it say about a party when a life-long Republican is picked to be the candidate for congress by the county chairs of the district and after getting shafted by wing-nut outsiders she says, "You know, of the two people left in the race, I prefer the Democrat."

As a Democrat, it doesn't get any better than this.

Update: One of the two guys who ran Obama's campaign sees it the same way:
"What's going on in the special election in NY-23, I think, is a remarkable phenomenon that could affect our politics for years to come," Plouffe said. Palin, he added, was "kind of playing the role of pied piper in Republican politics, which I'm quite comfortable with -- basically hanging a 'moderates need not apply' sign."

1 comment:

  1. I guess I am part of that 2% who is following the race. Wow - that is truly amazing. I saw Plouffe on Meet the Press (I think it was that show) this morning and heard him make the Pied Piper comment.

    This is really fascinating and I am glad to have more than my elections to be focusing on for Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete