Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Election 2009

I wish luck to my friends running for office. I'd have posted this picture earlier but I don't have a major fan base in rural Minnesota so I don't think I could do her much good.

Nate Silver - the best stat analyst in politics - is calling a sweep for Republicans in the two governor's races and for the Conservative Party guy to win in NY-23. My side still holds out hope in New Jersey, but it really won't bother me tomorrow if we lose all three. My side had bad candidates in the two governors' races and NY-23 simply doesn't vote for Democrats for congress.

I'm more concerned in the Cedar Rapids city elections. The choice for mayor is a indecisive guy with his heart in the right place vs. an ideological pig... and a Ross Perot nut case running as an independent.* I know who I'd vote for by default but it's too bad there were not better options.

For city council I'm pretty sure age would be my number one factor in making picks. Post flood Cedar Rapids is at a crossroads. I'd like to have the people making decisions now be the people who hope to raise a family and live in the city for the next 30 years... not those with a "can't do" spirit that's been carved into their souls.

*Everyone runs as an independent in Cedar Rapids but the two main contenders are backed by each of their parties.

5 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention George Simpson - running for mayor of Ventura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposefully left him off because I didn't want to jinx him... but now I see he's won! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this make me first daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure, but I guess you get to wear a tiarra when you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rural Minnesota? Okay, while I agree I live in a small town, I wouldn't call it rural!

    ReplyDelete