Wednesday, July 8, 2009

RA

I talked for a long time with a former student who is going to be a resident assistant this fall. The most shocking news to me was his pay is $800 per semester. "That's less than I made doing the job 20 years ago!" I said.

"They raised the pay," he explained. "Last year it was $550."

This student (non-Emirati) will take what he can get. Last year he worked in the library for $3.50/hour.

So I have one former student making $84,000 for doing nothing and another making half the US minimum wage. And the most remarkable thing is that there is no resentment. I gave the guy every opportunity to complain and he didn't. He took the line that everyone here seems to take: It is what it is.

The external locus of control that this entire society has adopted is absolutely fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment