Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oscar Meyer dead

Perhaps the most famous ad from my childhood:

Today’s news that Oscar Mayer died at the age of 95 was surprising.  Oscar Meyer was still alive?

Being the political geek I was at a young age I remember a fifth grade field trip where the bus sang a slightly different version of the song:

My baloney has a first name: It’s J-I-M-M-Y.
My baloney has a second name: It’s C-A-R-T-R
Oh, I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I’ll say, “Cause Jimmy Carter has a way of screwing up the USA!”

3 comments:

  1. I remember that too..wait, if you were in 5th grade, would I have even been born yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oscar Meyer was alive? Wow. I'm still trying to get past that one.

    So that "song" would have been when I was in 7th grade (yet, still the same age as you - one month older, but still the same age!). That must have been the year before the presidential election then? Carter was pretty unpopular by then, but I somehow can't imagine young Dems singing along? I am guessing you weren't for sure?

    I imagine that song was plagiarized for many issues - and probably still is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't young Dems. It was my classmates on a bus.

    I didn't sing along. It wasn't that I was a hardened Democrat back then (I supported Anderson in 1980). I was disturbed by how negative it was and the fact they couldn't spell his last name right.

    ReplyDelete