Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cool summer

It's been a cool spring and summer in Iowa. I've heard the sweet corn is running behind. Besides a six day heat wave in late June highs have not hit the normal for the year. So far three days in July have not reached a high of 70. Amazing.

Likewise, it's been cooler than expected here for the past two weeks. A layer of haze sat on top of us obscuring the sun. It kept highs down to 109. Yippee! Well, the haze has moved on and today it's 120. I haven't seen a real cloud in months. I've been singing "Blue skies, smiling at me. Nothing but blue skies do I see." But really the skies aren't blue here. They're a pasty white. The line "Never saw the sun shining so bright" is dead on.

3 comments:

  1. The heat is just waiting for you to return, although it may feel better to you now! But I do hope that the sweet corn is good and ready when you get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You failed to mention that we have also already hit the 90 mark, and the humidity has been awful. I will still take Phoenix at 120 over this miserablenes as soon as I can afford it!!!!

    Steve, were you at Coe when Hitendra Patel was there? Just asking 'cuz he has been in Dubai for quite a while (work related).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name doesn't ring a bell.

    ReplyDelete