Thursday, July 23, 2009

BYE BYE STEVEN

My students surprised me today with a giant cake shaped like a can of Coke Zero.

After they gave it to me I rushed home to get my camera and measuring tape. The cake is 34" long, 20" wide and 14" tall. I've seen many wedding cakes that were smaller.

The top pic hides the 3D effect. They used many layers to create the rounded can look. I counted 13 layers of chocolate or vanilla cake with whipped frosting in between.

Other students also brought food and it was quite a feast.

They had kept it all a secret and it made my summer. I don't even care if get paid (because I still haven't.)

The formality of writing BYE BYE STEVEN was a bit disconcerting.  I said, “I am coming back!  Or do you know something I should know?”

7 comments:

  1. Wow - that is an amazing cake! Is someone in your class a professional decorator or related to one?

    And I'm wondering if you should be calling someone about the whole paycheck thing? I doubt if the bye-bye Steven thing was prophetic or anything, but you need to be paid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome cake and gesture! You've made a good impression on them. As for being paid, doesn't UAEU pay June-Aug at the end of May... so you wouldn't get paid again until end September?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome surprise. That cake must've taken forever to assemble. Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you make sure the students took the first bite? Cause it could have been because you were a good teacher OR.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sis really cool Steve. I love you man, but I'm not making you a 34" by 20" by 14" Coke cake when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing they did this BEFORE they got their grades!!! Was it perhaps a bribe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. That cake is incredible. My wife wants to be an Ace of Cakes and she will love to see this.

    ReplyDelete