Monday, July 6, 2009

Panic time

There are many horror stories out there of people's money being lost in transfer. Here's mine.

On June 21 I sent $6000 to the US by Western Union. I checked the account number and router twice and everything matched. Today - 15 days later - it had not arrived. I went to the local Western Union office and this was the conversation:

Me: Here you can see I sent money on Sunday June 21. It's not in my account.
Clerk: If you sent it on a Sunday it can take Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... by Thursday it should be in your account.
Me: I know, but it's not.
Clerk: Have you checked with your bank?
Me: I just did, the money is not there.
Clerk: Let's see, the 21st was a Sunday. Did you send it in the morning or in the evening?
Me: In the evening, but that doesn't make a difference. IT WAS TWO WEEKS AGO.
Clerk: If you sent it in the evening it would take Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and should have arrived on Thursday. Are you sure it is not in your account?
Me: Yes.
Clerk: How do you know?
Me: I just spoke with them.
Clerk: (Looks at my paper and pulls out a calendar.) This was processed on Sunday. It should take Monday, Tuesday, Wednes...
Me: STOP COUNTING DAYS! IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS. COUNTING DAYS IS POINTLESS!

I then had to pay $15 for the privilege of having them look into it. He tells me the inquiry may take a week.

By this time I am absolutely sick. It took everything I had to keep from screaming. Or crying.

I drove home in a daze. $6000 is not something I can afford to lose. Waves of nausea made me consider pulling over to throw up.

When I got home I called my bank in Iowa. The woman pulls up my account and says, "Nope, it's not there..." Panic turns to desperation. I wish I had a bucket near by.

While she's talking to me a coworker overhears her and says, "Oh, I remember getting a money order for Steve. It has to be there."

It turns out my local bank put it in my savings account and not my checking account.

Two hours have passed and my stomach has still not settled down.

3 comments: