Friday, July 10, 2009

Weekend remainders

It's been a while so there are a lot. I hope you find at least one story worth clicking on.

Miss a few credit card payments and you might be able to convince the bank to accept 50% on the total debt you owe as payment in full. It will hurt your credit score but it is a way to get the debt out of the way.

Cynthia Davis, a Missouri state representative. thinks cutting the school lunch program for poor children is a good idea because hunger is a motivator. Colbert likes the idea and asks his followers to take food away from Ms. Davis to provide her an incentive to run for higher office.

Disturbing: Broke states are closing rest areas to save money. Speaking of broke states, here's a list I'm glad to not see Iowa on: The top ten most broke states.

The wink that changed the world. When Hungary went rogue twenty years ago and started allowing democratic reforms their eastern europe allies were ready to invade to restore order. All Hungary's leader needed was a wink from Gorbachev to stand his ground. He got it and the collapse of the Eastern Bloc was underway.

I plan to do as much grilling as possible while I'm back home. This article on grilling suggests skirt steaks are the best. While the picture above is not appealing I do find the cilantro goop recipe intriguing.

Married, happy and fat. That's what a new study says. The longer a person is married the more likely they are to gain weight. Same for co-habitating women. They gain weight but their boyfriends do not. I wish I had an excuse for my weight gain.

And finally, all those hours playing video games may actually have been good for you. Phew! Now I need to go play Age of Empires II. It's been over 24 hours since I last played and it's an addiction like coffee in the morning.

I have avoided buying a Wii or XBox. I'm ridiculously addicted to a lame game like AoEII. If I had a real game console I'd never get anything done. I've had students who were walking zombies because they stayed up all night playing Halo. And that's why doing cocaine and playing Halo are two things I must never do... because if I start I'm sure you'd never hear from me again.

1 comment:

  1. First of all you must get an XBOX! We have the most fun in the world. We used to play halo but when COD4 and now COD5 came out we were hooked. We play most every night. We have three 360's in our house. I have a red one! Last night we played with a whole group of guys and we did not lose one game! (the mulitiplayer matches are fantastically fun) And we go to sleep on time so we can go to work in the morning.

    Second of all, thanks for commenting on my blog. It always seems like no one reads so I get lazy with posting. I've taken new pictures of my garden and need to get a new post going. The only problem is- I would rather sit here and read everyone elses instead. (like I'm doing right now)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete