Monday, July 27, 2009

Management

The B McG dropped off his painting crew and they went right to work. Well, 2 of them did. One, who appears to be McG's right hand man sat in a chair pretty much the entire time and watched. He barked out a few orders that the others followed dutifully. I guess lazy management is one of those universal truths.

After they got done they waited for McG to return. I cleared off the couch and chairs but they would only sit on the floor or dining chairs. They were very happy, however to take Cokes. After the B McG arrived I asked how much he wants for painting the room, rewiring my cable and custom fitting sheet metal for my dishwasher. He starts talking with the guys. They talked for what seemed like five minutes with the workers' eyes frequently darting my way.

It went on long enough that I said, "I'm going to step out while you guys decide this." I walked towards the kitchen when McG said something I heard as, "b-da-b 2500." (2500 dirhams is about $700. ) I asked him to repeat that. Again he said "b-da-b 2500." He saw the look of panic in my face so he started to explain that with metal he had cut and the supplies for the paint rollers and everything it really is 500.

"500!" I exclaimed, "I thought you were asking for 2500!" What I heard as "b-da-b 2500" was him saying "With the dishwasher, too, 500."

We laughed, I paid him 700, gave them a bunch of Cokes and they were on their way.

Imagine asking someone to custom make a top for your dishwasher, rewire your cable and paint a large room and getting a bill for $125. Tipping them $50 seems like too little in retrospect.

OK, I HAVE TO GO BACK TO GRADING. IN 24 HOURS I'LL BE SITTING IN THE DUBAI AIRPORT AND I HAVEN'T FINISHED GRADING. FOCUS, STEVEN, FOCUS.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color!! Have a safe flight and a great break back home. Let me know when you're back and into routine this fall -- I'd love to stop by for a visit if that invite is still open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a feel good story, except the end.

    ReplyDelete