Saturday, July 25, 2009

Weekend remainders - the psychology edition

Very enlightening: For people with low self esteem saying daily affirmations has a negative effect. Andrew Sullivan finds experts who claim low self esteem is good for you.

Meanwhile, having more competitors makes a person less competitive.

According to evolutionofgod.net the notion of heaven came long after Christ died. It was initially referred to as the Kingdom of God (here on earth). But with every passing generation the Kingdom of God (on earth) seemed less likely so they created heaven. The website has an interesting history of the world's religions.

"I'm scared of the private sector!" seems to be what most Arabs are saying. Across the middle east Arabs would rather be unemployed than to take a private sector job. Working for the government pays better and is considered much safer. Hmm, I'll bet that's a growing feeling in the US, too.

Meghan McCain asks, "Does it sound campy to say I love gay men?" I think the better question is whether or not her father would have been any better at ending "Don't ask, Don't tell."

National Republican chair Michael Steele says he'll woo minorities with "Fried chicken and potato salad."

I know it's a problem when your girlfriend is having sex with a Republican state representative who is also Sunday school teacher... who also "loudly opposes allowing gay couples to adopt and is a firm opponent of sex outside of marriage -- except his own." Just be sure not to ask for too much money or he might go to the cops.

I gotta remember to do these each week. There's just too many when I wait two weeks.

Update: I should have mentioned that the state rep. is 47 and his mistress is 22. He probably won't get reelected but he'll get high-fives in the locker room.

Update II: Very appropriate for the psychology edition... I'd like to think that if I were an Alaskan blogger I'd be writing this about my fellow conservative Alaskan bloggers who realized their governor was nuts.

1 comment:

  1. Love the new scientific blog!

    BTW - what is Steele rambling about. Only kidding, I really don't care to know what point he was trying to make.

    ReplyDelete