Friday, July 24, 2009

Fascinating weather...

... in Iowa, of course. Here it's just frickin' hot. A couple of days ago we did get a sandstorm with some thunder. I was so excited I had to run out into it. It ruined my contacts and all I was able to see was some low hanging scud. <--but that's the closest thing I've seen to a cloud in months. The chart above is the National Weather Service prediction for temperatures from July 30 - August 3. As you can see Iowa has a 60% chance of being below normal. I'm glad my arrival didn't curse the weather like I did in January.

This shows the daily temperatures for Cedar Rapids. If the cool weather persists for the rest of the month it will be the first month (I can find) where we did not hit the normal high even once. In fact, CR hasn't reached a normal high since hitting 91 on June 27th.

I am very excited that it is going to be cool upon my return. I was convinced that we'd have a hot, sticky August like we so often have. The idea of spending time outside has made me even consider camping. It won't happen but at least I've been thinking about it.

PLUS: The NWS is reporting the return of el nino. Stop yawning. Here's one positive effect from a news article from the 1997 el nino:
According to Scheeringa, the El Nino weather pattern could bring unusually warm and dry weather to the Midwest, especially in the winter months.
Warm and dry sounds pretty good right now, doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what you consider
    'cool' weather, but the heat is definitely back. I had to turn the a/c back on to get the humidity out of the house. Be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally the highs for July average 85 degrees. The average for this July is 75. A ten degree difference is remarkable... and should be noticeable. While you may be running the AC you shouldn't have to run it as much.

    Since I am not in Iowa I cannot prove it is a cooler than normal summer. If the National Weather Service has it wrong I'll happily retract the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The NWS can only provide "predictions" for the weather based on science. You returning to Iowa will cause what is called an "unidentified weather disturbance". I have complete faith that within 24 hours of your return Cedar Rapids will be 91 degrees with 90 percent humidity.

    And I'll still be glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a person who prefers hot days, I am feeling cheated this summer! But glad to hear that it may lead to a warmer winter. Unfortunately, we are way behind in hot growing days for our crops in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete