Monday, July 6, 2009

Big Shot

There was a small chance I could have made this funny. Very small. After two hours of believing I had lost $6000 my mind is mush. I seriously considered deleting my post about Sarah Palin in three acts and pretending it never existed.

Alas, I have decided to my lumps and just admit this is lame. It's more than lame, only a die-hard Billy Joel fan like Sandy would understand the references. So let's just get it over.

Of all the odd Sarah Palin facts one that sticks with me is that she attended five college before getting a four year degree. Having taught at Hamilton I've met many students for whom college was a second or third try. I remember one who attended four colleges. In 2000+ students during my time at Hamilton nobody had gone through 5 colleges. Act one:

Watching Sarah Palin reminds of the lines, “So here you are with your faith and your Peter Pan advice. With loaded guns in your face you have to deal with pressure.”

And her press conference on Friday reminded me of Big Shot:

Key lyrics:

Well, you went uptown ridin' in your limousine
With your fine Park Avenue clothes

Because you had to be a big shot, didn't cha
You had to open up your mouth
You had to be a big shot, didn't cha
All your friends were so knocked out

You had to have the last word, last night
You know what everything's about

You had to have a white hot spotlight

You had to have the front page, bold type

Well, it's no big sin to stick your two cents in
If you know when to leave it alone
But you went over the line
You couldn't see it was time to go home
No, no, no, no, no, no

Again, I’ll never hype a future post again…

Tomorrow I’ll post the most depressing picture I’ve taken in this country.

Update: My depressing picture didn't turn out well. It's OK. The sad fact is that I'll be able to take it again tomorrow or the next day...

1 comment:

  1. Well, I did appreciate it Steve. Trivia question for you: Is Bob Dole in the song "We Didn't Start the Fire?". I know someone who lost a bet on that once! :)

    ReplyDelete