Monday, April 27, 2009

You can't always get what you want...

... but if you try real hard you just might find you get what you need.

In my case, this might be a good thing.

I have requested a teaching post for the summer. I may still get one but the odds are growing dim. I have even applied for a summer program working with area HS students. Why? Well, I'd like the money and I can't imagine a summer off. (Last summer doesn't count... for many reasons.)

With each passing day I question the wisdom of working in the summer in the Emirates. It is getting hotter and hotter. One of my students said it topped 50 Celsius yesterday. That's 122 to you and me. I said, "Come on, the official temperature wasn't that high."

My students basically laughed at me. It is universally accepted that the "official" temperatures are all lies. Why? My students reasons were, 1. To make the country look better than it is and, 2. If it really hit 50 they'd have to stop the laborers from working. At 50 work must be suspended so it never "officially" hits 50.

Wow.

Also, my students said in June and July it is not safe to travel on the highway to Dubai/Abu Dhabi from 1-3 in the afternoon. Why? The asphalt is so hot it makes tires explode. These were not the bullshitting students. Can tires really explode because of a hot road?

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of that happening here in Phoenix. Never actually seen it tho...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extreme heat kept planes grounded at Las Vegas a couple of summers ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In short, yes.

    It's not so much that they 'asplode', it's more that under extreme heat tires tend to get "greasy" where they start to melt a little. This makes them wear very quickly, and then they go flat on you.

    I notice when autocrossing on hot days if I'm doing a bad job of keeping my tires cool i'll burn through a lot more rubber than on a typical 75F day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve - I'm not s genius, but I wouldn't suggest trying this one... Mentos and Coke yes... But not tires and extreme heat! But if you should choose to heed my advice, please have Ann tape it. One more thing... What do you want to call your memorial fund that I setup in your honor?!

    ReplyDelete