Friday, April 17, 2009

Flunk day memories

Warning: These stories may make you want to keep your children from going to Coe. For alumni it makes us want to go back.
"After a morning of drinking, around 11AM, giving Schuling an off center mohawk... not a fauhawk, mohawk. I thought Schuling looked so cool, in my drunken jealousy, I began shaving of chunks of hair off my head... all before we made to the quad for free beer... oh and the ensuing sunburn on schulings head weeks after..."
"Memories.... I lost those brain cells each year on Flunk Day. The only vague memory I have was playing campus golf with Kurt, a 7 iron and a case. Amazingly nothing was broken."

"Gotta be all night, campus-wide disc golf with Danny. WAKE UP! IT'S FLUNK DAY!!"

"Chriss Carsello and myself, and a few others actually dragging some blankets outside Greene Hall near the fat bench and passing out on the quad around 4 or 5am the night before flunk day."

"I have a faint memory of a port o pottie getting tossed. I had a little to drink that day if I recall, so the details were a little blurry...lol. Oh and there was one where a giant thunderstorm popped up and we just made it back to campus, and while we were running back from the parking lot, a bolt of lightning struck rignt next to us. Scared me sober!"
A port o pottie was tipped over on the side of the door. Meaning, the guy inside wasn't able to get out. They finally righted it and the guy jumped in a freezing pond to wash off.
"The day of my very first Flunk Day, about an hour into the celebration, the skies completely opened up. As rain poured down upon the fairgrounds, most people ran for cover. Fatty Whitaker looked to the heavens and yelled "That's right Lord, weed out the WEAK!!! Somebody get me another beer!"
See Wu? The weather was worse on some other Flunk Days.
"Can't forget the couch burning in the tree can we? Oh, McClintock."
Couch burning in a tree? I haven't heard about this one.

The next comment recalls "taking the hill" - meaning, wearing a tie and nothing else and running from the men's dorm to the women's dorm. The tradition was alive and well during my era but it seems to have died in recent years.
"I vaguely recall losing about 1/2 the skin on my shins, thigh and hip while sliding across the sidewalk in front of Voorhees while "Taking the Hill" (in the rain...) Then lying in the showers while pledges brought me beers and gauze... Yeah... Higher Education ROCKS!"
Yes it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment