Thursday, April 16, 2009

Flunk day

As I write this it is 2PM in Iowa. For Coe students it is the day they have anticipated for months: Flunk Day.

All classes are canceled. All tests and homework postponed. By this time 20% of the campus has passed out from drinking that started last night and ended around 10AM.

Flunk Day is called by the outgoing student body president... an honor I once had. It's safe to say the weather was not the best for my Flunk Day but it was certainly not as bad as Wu's revisionist history would paint it to be. Spellman did find me on that day to say, "Congratulations Kranz, you've managed to combine winter carnival with Flunk Day." He could say that because his wife was the only one to tell the night before that it was mistake.

Hence it was no surprise to get an e-mail from Donna Spellman today letting me know that it is yet another Flunk Day with better weather than mine.

4 comments:

  1. I do remember that. Sorry - but it was not the greatest weather on your Flunk Day. Today is beautiful here as well - and would be a good day for Flunk Day. I guess since they went to new school calendars they have to call it in April? My recollections were that it was usually later than this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you remember my Flunk Day; your AOTT sisters were asking you if you knew when I was going to call it. My memory is that you replied, "I have no idea what is going on in his head."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories of your Flunk Day:
    The sun was out.
    We delivered the papers & ran through campus.
    It started to sprinkle.
    It clouded over and got cold and windy.
    We had to practically drag you out of your dorm room because you were beating yourself up over it.
    I started drinking and got talked into playing volleyball.
    Other things happened that I don't recall, perhaps connected to the drinking.
    As night fell, the wind stopped (or I was too drunk to care) and I stretched out on the lawn with Tony in front of the library to talk politics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably did say something like that. I knew when every Flunk Day was ahead of time each year, except my sophomore year. That was great because, unlike others - I could start drinking and not worry about class the next morning.

    I wish I had been able to truly enjoy each Flunk Day though. I would drink the night before and then have SOME fun the next day - but then have to go back to studying late in the day. Yup - even us theater majors (well, minors in my case) had to study. I think my senior year I had a psych paper that was due - which I of course had put off doing - and so I spent part of the day on the Voorhees "beach" doing my paper.

    ReplyDelete