Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Jerk of the day award

I was moved by a guy who owned a truck and 4 Bangladeshi laborers. The guy who owned the truck was the classic owner-of-capital lazy pig: He never helped move a thing and at one point two guys moving the stove had to stop because the power cord was dangling. The truck driver was standing next to them. He could have bent down, picked it up and hand it to one of them. He didn’t. He let them put the stove down, grab the cord and start over again.

His “prick” status secure, I took the workers aside and paid them a tip and pointed down to the driver and shook my head “No”. They laughed.

As we came to the new place with the second load he ordered the workers to unload everything on the street. They complied and he drove the truck away.

I live in the boonies.

The workers carried everything up to my apartment. I tipped them again and they walked out. I said, “I will take you home” but, of course, they had no idea what I was saying. After an overdue trip to the bathroom, I went to my car and drove down the street to pick them up.

I took them to the part of town where the laborers live and they gave me directions to their home. It was 12 miles.

TWELVE MILES. They were planning to walk that far. They have no income for a cab and I’m so far out the nearest bus stop is several miles away.

I wish I could find that truck driver. I haven’t wanted to spit on somebody this bad in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment