Thursday, April 16, 2009

Speed cameras: Mixed thoughts

Cedar Rapids is putting speed cameras on I-380. OK, but how will they work? Will people going 57 get a ticket? Will speedsters learn that if they zip into the right lane of the 3 lane highway they will evade the cameras?

One of the reasons I do like living in the UAE is that I have never seen a person pulled over. No speeding tickets from a cop on a power trip. There are speed cameras all over the place set at 10 over the speed limit. And the speed limits here are reasonable.

I am not the chronic lead foot I was 20 years ago, but I still like to get where I'm going before I lose any more hair. (I can't afford that.) My fear is that CR will set the cameras at 56. Go above that and they'll take your picture and give you a ticket.

Speaking of Cedar Rapids, this new police chief is a piece of work. Either the Gazette is taking his words out of context or this guy thinks quite a lot of himself. I know this will sound far out of bounds but this makes me almost as sad as the flood. The last thing CR needs right now is a megalomaniac police chief. The idea should be rebuild a community, not divide it.

3 comments:

  1. Phoenix has cameras. They don't say what they are set at, but rumor has it that they are set to 11mph over before you get your picture taken. Also, you can buy some stuff and spray it on your license plate that will make it unreadable when the picture is taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up before we drive through there again. Anyone know exactly when they go up? We will be headed through on Memorial Day weekend and I will need to remember to slow it down through there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just what are you basing your negative comments on re our new police chief? I think he is a pretty decent guy with a good perspective on things.

    ReplyDelete