Friday, April 24, 2009

Getting played

This morning the Coke fridge and other furniture was picked up and delivered.

The truck owner very clearly didn't want me to pay him while his two workers were there. Why? I assume it's 'cause he knew I'd over pay and he didn't want to share. So he left with a promise to return after prayers to hang the curtains. Prayers are done 1. He came at 5:30 to say he had no workers since today is their day off. (I realize how little sense this makes... but it's what I expected.)

He asked for payment for the move. All afternoon I psyched myself up: I will not over pay. I will not over pay. "How much do you want?" I asked.

"You tell me, boss," he replied.

All the prepping and psyching up went out the window. I handed him just over a $100 thinking, "That's what I'd have paid to have this stuff moved in Iowa."

D'oh!

My reasoning has proved dumb many times. This one takes the cake. Imagine going to a hotel in Cedar Rapids and saying, "I'd pay at least $400 for this hotel in New York so that's what I'll pay you."

That guy had to have a big grin on his face as he drove away.

No comments:

Post a Comment