Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Religion and pyramid marketing schemes

Raise your hand if you been suckered into going to a Quixtar meeting. If the name is not familiar to you the old name may be: Amway.

I have both hands up.

They spread the true believers around the room. I had the misfortune of sitting next to one. He'd clap and cheer. It had the feel of a religious ceremony and as it turns out, it basically is a religious ceremony. They don't tell you upfront that they are Bible beaters but once you get sucked in you learn all about it.

The idea is that rather than buying from Wal-mart you buy everything - from toilet paper to ketchup - from Quixtar. "You can shop in your underwear! And the best part is every month Quixtar sends you a check!"

Now, before you sign up there are a few problems. The toilet paper is like sand paper and the ketchup is worse than any generic you'll find. (That's from two people who broke away from the cult.)

You also don't save any money. As for the checks, you only get money if you can get others to sign up under you. Convince your friends that they should eat nasty ketchup. And here's the great kicker: If a friend or family member refuses to sign up you are told to break the connection. After all, they are slowing you down. A friend of mine lost his best friend to Quixtar. His best friend was the male slut of Coe and now he's married with children and carrying the Bible to Quixtar revival meetings.

Strange world.

Anyhow, I wrote all of this because yet another Bible beater is trying to recruit for a pyramid called 5linx. I've never heard of it.

My question of the day: Why does "multi-level marketing" and religion go together?

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I can think of several people who would qualify for "male slut of Coe" so could you please e-mail me who that was? Inquiring minds want to know.

    I don't get the whole religion/pyramid marketing either. I have never been suckered into either Amway or Quixtar meetings. My husband had a dear friend from college who started into a pyramid-like selling thing (I don't think it was religious though) and it felt VERY icky. James had a very hard time saying no to investing because it was a dear friend and someone he respected. But there was also no way he believed in the stuff (it was some kind of nutritional supplement, I think) and no way he was going to invest our money toward that.

    Steve, why do you end up getting suckered to WAY over-paying for things and going to Amway meetings? I'm thinking that you need to do a Nancy Reagan and JUST SAY NO! That mantra doesn't work for educating people about drugs or sex, but it might work for you - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I haven't bought anything... They don't tell you it is quixtar until it is too late. For the second I said to the guy who asked me to go, "Please tell me this isn't Quixtar." He said he'd never heard of Quixtar. Even before the dog and pony show began I knew it was. For the humor sake of it I decided to stay.
    The company you're talking about I think had an "N" name. It sucked in a lot of people at Coe from the Class of 1994 and 1995.
    Hmm... Eric reads the blog and I'm quite sure he knows. Eric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Smburke said. Please email me with the name of the 'male slut of Coe". I can think of several who would probably qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you may not buy Quixtar - but I actually meant how you over-tip people and also tell yourself you are NOT going to do so (but do anyway).

    I remembered the product - it was Reliv. If someone here uses it - I don't want to offend, but it is a pyramid type thing in my opinion.

    Haven't got an e-mail re: the Coe male slut yet! I used to call one of your fraternity brothers a slut frequently to try to shame him into behaving better - he was in my class. But, I don't think he's who you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry guys... it's not Amway that's the problem (it's a great company with great products... try the stuff yourself... you've got 180 days to return it for a FULL refund if you don't like it - FREE return postage). Amway is a 50 year old, $8.2 BILLION company. Over the years various support companies have formed. If you felt "icky" at a meeting it was the support system. There are some great systems out there... shop around until you find one you like. It's like picking your dentist, primary doc, etc. My wife and I make 1000's each month. If you treat ppl right (and the training system should teach you this) then it's an awesome business. If you're a goofball, then it's cheezy... like anything else out there.

    ReplyDelete