Friday, February 20, 2009

You can't fire me!

Imagine your job if you could only be fired for showing up drunk, forging documents or breaking the law.  I won't have to imagine.  I will get to see it first hand because it is the new law of the land for the Emiratis.

Just imagine:  You show up to work three hours late... every day.  You do a crappy job.  It doesn't matter; you can't get fired.  

I am teaching a class on operations management.  The class assignments for the next two weeks is calculating productivity.  I am trying to teach the class that workers are paid on the basis of their productive contribution to the company.  What I am now teaching is a theory class that has no connection to the reality of the workforce here.

3 comments:

  1. Man... They need their own economic model! It's surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT APPEARS THAT AN IOWA CITY POLICE OFFICER (SARGENT) WAS ARRESTED SATURDAY MORNING FOR DRUNK DRIVING. THEY WOULD NOT SAY IF HE WAS ON DUTY BUT THE GAZETTE REPORTED THAT HE WAS ASSIGNED TO THE 11:00pm TO 7:00am. I GUESS HE MIGHT BE UNEMPLOYED NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that story. Interesting. My old officemate at Hamilton was a 20 year retired cop. He said alcoholism is pervasive within the ranks and that cops did often cover for each other. It's noteworthy that he was arrested by University police, not Iowa City police.

    ReplyDelete