Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sometimes a graph helps explain

Click on the graph above to see it more clearly. It shows job losses in the previous two recessions as compared to job losses in the current recession.

The economy is in free fall. There is no comparison to recent recessions. I am disappointed in Obama because he created a package with a bunch of useless sweeteners to attract Republicans. If this package ends up being insufficient -and I believe it will - Republicans are the real winners. They get all the tax cuts they could have hoped for AND get the chance to blame the recession deepening on the Democrats.

I've had enough of this post-partisan bullshit. Hillary would never have made this mistake.

2 comments:

  1. No, but I don't know that Hillary would have had enough Democrats behind her to get anything passed either. She would not have had the wave of Democrats elected with her that Obama did - Republicans would have come out in droves to vote against her (and a lot of independents as well).

    I'm not happy about this either, but I truly don't think Hillary would have gotten any farther and it may have been worse. Personally I'd rather have Obama in charge than Hillary. After how she acted in the campaign, I lost a lot of respect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Smburke. And I have not given up hope that Barack will NOT cave to the Republicans. He knows what he wants and it isn't tax breaks. Some, perhaps, but I think it is much more important that he stick to his guns, cut the pork and determine what projects can stand to wait a while. This does NOT include education, but it might include contraception. I also think he will make a serious mistake if he selects Gov. Sebelius for HHS over Dr. Dean, esp. if he is serious about coming out with a health plan. Personally, I think he should go after Daschle and get him to come back. Put forth the argument that he understand the objections based on the tax problems, but Daschle is the best person for the job.

    I am scared enough of Hillary as Sec. of State and all that she will NOT accomplish in the countries that don't respect women. To even think of a Hillary and Bill co-presidency makes me want to vomit.

    Stick to your guns, Barack. Remember the old adage that suggests that the best is worth waiting for. The right stimulus package is well worth waiting for and you should not rush into the wrong package and have to live with all the I-told-you-so comments and cause harm to your presidency.

    Finally, I think he needs to insist that the Detroit automakers merge into one large company if they want/expect any money in the form of a bailout.

    That's my position, and I am sticking to it!!! (Damn!! I thought all this crap was over with the election.)

    ReplyDelete