Friday, February 20, 2009

Cedar Rapids blogging

How many people in Cedar Rapids have a Blogger ID? I figured a hundred or so. The answer is 1100. Exactly 1100 as of last night. Not all those with a Blogspot ID have a blog but most did.

I spent many hours last night and today reading through the list. After I finished I talked to Ann who informed me it was past 4PM. I had not even ate lunch.

Here's what I learned:
1. Many blogs went like this: Post 1, "Hi, I've started a blog... we'll see how this goes." They post 3 more times and then there's a post, "Hey, I know it's been a long time since I blogged..." And then no more posts. Many, many blogs had no more than 10 posts and nothing in the past year.

2. Teenagers are using blogs to live out their teen angst. "I thought Jill was my friend but she betrayed me and I will never, never, never forget!" We've all written things when we were younger that we'd laugh at now. Thanks to blogging the note you used to pass to a friend in class is now pasted on your blog for the world to see. Writers for Dawson's Creek would have it easy today: Simply go to the blogs and you can find your next story line.

3. Religion. I couldn't believe how many blogs were dedicated to Jesus. Seriously. Sometimes it was a group of people from a church who would get together to write a blog. They'd all write about how they worshipped Jesus and how He had affected their lives... and then the blog would stop. I guess there's not much more to write after that.

4. Friends. I found several friends and acquaintances with blogs. A HS classmate has a blog dedicated to softball. My eye doctor has a blog about her trip to Africa and donating time giving eye exams in Kenya. It makes me feel better about paying for her overpriced services.

I wish I could report some startling revelation. Sorry. I'm not sure I really learned anything from the experience (besides Blogger being filled with carcasses of dead blogs), but it was a way to kill 12 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment