Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Buddhist chants

In Nepal the Buddhist tourist areas had chants playing. The most common chant is the one in this video. (This video has an extremely long musical prelude. To get to the chant fast forward to the 1:12 mark… But getting to the chant fast kind of defeats the purpose. It’s like saying, “I want to hurry up and clear my mind.”) The video is trippy. To play it scroll down so you can't see the video and simply listen to the chant.

I left Nepal over two months ago, but I sill do the chant many times every day. It has a remarkably calming affect.

The words “oh mani padme hum” means “The jewel is the heart of the lotus.” Ok. The translation is “Oh my God within me” and is designed to clear the heart and mind.

********
Post notes:
1. It took me an hour to find the right version of the chant to post on the blog. Oh, the work I do for my hundreds tens of readers.
2. To me they are chanting “Ohm mani benday home” Does anyone else hear “padmi”?
3. After starting the blog I joked with a few friends that I was starting a cult. Perhaps this is the next step…

If interested, I can send you an MP3 of a 25 minute version I purchased in Nepal. (I’ve added my own subliminal cult messages.)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Any more talking about cults and you may have lawyers checking out your webpage again... Have you heard about the drug bust?! No this is not a case of "I like turtles."

    ReplyDelete