Monday, February 16, 2009

Word for the day

Quay 

As a native English speaker I have helped some colleagues edit their writing.  I love it when they use an English word I don't know.  For the record "Quay"is a wharf or a bank where ships are loaded.  I'll bet my crossword loving parents knew this one.

It's been a long day.  I woke at 6AM, left for work by 7 taught all day and then worked on editing until 8PM.  You'd think after being gone for 13 hours I'd get to sleep easily tonight.  Nah, it's past 1AM and I have no hope of going to sleep soon.  

Insomnia isn't the worse ailment to have but it sucks nonetheless. 

1 comment:

  1. It's word geek time:

    "quai" is an alternate spelling

    the slightly more common synonym, in the US, is "key," from which "quay" derives

    Back in the day, I got a lot of action with this type of etymological 411.

    ReplyDelete