Thursday, February 12, 2009

Angel Food Ministries

Several of my Hamilton students bought from Angel Food Ministries.  For about $30 you could get a huge basket of food.   The program was run out of several churches.  All one had to do was pay in advance and then pick the food up on the designated Saturday.

They said all were welcome so I tried it.  Twice.

Each time I thought I was depriving some poor Mexcian family of a meal.  The beef was disgusting and the food staples made Aldi's look good.  

I once got some chicken legs that tasted good but I could see why they didn't sell in stores:  They were HUGE... almost the size of turkey legs.  I ate them scared that the chicken's relatives might come after me.

Anyhow, in today's Gazette there is a story that the FBI has served warrants on Angel Food Ministries after it has paid it's founder $2.5 million. 

Apparently their giant chickens have come home to roost.

2 comments:

  1. Just an alternate view... We have people in our church neighborhood who consider the AFM food a Godsend. The program allows them to almost double the value of their Food Stamp cards. We have customers who have purchased from AFM on a monthly basis for over 2 years and tell us repeatedly how grateful they are for the discounted food. Since the flooding in Eastern Iowa the participation has increased tremendously. Instead of being critical - be grateful that you are able to afford to purchase the exact food you want and thank your neighbors for helping to provide for those who have trouble providing for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    I am not critical of those who use the service and I have no doubt that those who use the service could NOT find that amount of groceries for $30. To that end, it is a good service.

    I do not believe, however, that those who set up should be profiting to the tune of $2.5 million. That's what makes a non-profit for-profit.

    I do take offense to the charge that I am uncaring or inconsiderate of those in eastern Iowa who help the poor. There is NOTHING in my post that could generate that comment. If you want to make a charge like that don't do it anonymously.

    ReplyDelete