Tuesday, February 10, 2009

With no repercussions

The Dean of the College of Business stuck his head in my office.

"Did you know that 6 of your students went to the Vice Chancellor to say that you had lost their finals last term?"

"Umm, no... I didn't lose six finals. I still have all of the finals and can look them up if it would help."

"Oh, no, it's not necessary. I assured the provost and chancellor that everything was OK."

*****
Wow.

Wow on so many levels. Students going to the Vice Chancellor has no equivalent in the US. The Vice Chancellor is the person in charge of the entire educational system of the country.

I knew a couple of my students had wasta (that's the term for having connections). I knew my life would be easier if I simply gave them good grades. I didn't. They went to the Chancellor.

In my perfect world I would produce the finals, prove them wrong and they'd be punished. Instead, I guess I should be happy I still have a job. These are probably the only C's or D's these guys have ever received... and that's the good feeling I can take away from this.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - there are some serious moral implications here... I hope it doesn't come down to choosing right or choosing your job. I'm assuming the Chancellors are rich too and can't really be bribed all too easily?! I like the addition of the buzz term.

    ReplyDelete