Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Groundhog day

OK, so the large rodent didn't see his shadow.  Is anyone surprised?  Spring would be hard to sell with a low tonight of -4.  

Every year I planned to count the number of really good days, you know, not too hot, not too cold, not too humid, not too cloudy or windy, etc.  The task was discouraging and I never completed it.  I wish there was a way I could set up my blog to do it for me... in other words, have a daily "Is today's weather great?" and see how many days make the cut.  Any ideas on how to do it would be appreciated.

We Iowans know to appreciate the few good days of weather we get.  It's a precious commodity.  I thought I'd be bored with Emirati weather.  It's the same day after day.  It goes from ridiculously hot to hot to warm to nice very slowly over a period of four months.  I'm sure the reverse will happen in the next four months.  But it's not boring.  Seeing the sun every day is easy to get used to.  

Perhaps those in the Emirates don't appreciate 80 days of continuous good weather the same way we Iowans appreciate 2 good days in April, 4 in May, 4 in June, etc.  We tell ourselves things like, "It makes us hearty" and you have to "endure the bad weather to appreciate the good weather".  I'm beginning to think that's a line of bullshit we Iowans help each other reinforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment