Friday, March 20, 2009

Learning curve part II

As I wrote yesterday, I have student who understands no English. How does he come to sit in my class? I asked a different class, "Is there a way to cheat on the English tests?" I learned it's not only possible but they've actually created a market.

If you want to have someone who looks like you take the test for you it is one price. If you both take it and switch answer sheets, it's a different price. Prices vary by how high the sub can score for you. Someone who can score high can make a lot of money.

Not surprisingly, the student failed the quiz. He must have seen me at the beginning of the semester and said, "Damn, I'll bet he doesn't speak Arabic." Although all classes are supposed to be in English, many are not. He had no choice but to take it from me because I'm the only one teaching the course. Bad luck for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment