Monday, March 9, 2009

Specter watch

This watch will take longer than the Steele apology to Rush watch. That was a post I hurried to the blog because I was scared he'd apologize before I had a chance to say he would.

Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania is one of the three Republican senators to vote for the first (certainly not last) stimulus. Now he's facing a primary challenge from a guy who almost beat him before. Unfortunately for Specter, the Republican party shrunk during the Hillary-Obama primary last year. Most pundits believe Specter would lose a Republican primary next year.

For the Specter watch it is a choice: 1. He will choose not to run for reelection? or 2. He will switch to the Democratic Party.

I'm betting on a switch. It may take a couple of months, but the odds of "Republican Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania" in 2011 are virtually zero.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Having lived in Pennsylvania for a few years, the thought of PA NOT re-electing Specter is hard to believe. I will bet he switches as well - although I remember his questioning of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas hearings and the idea of that man in the Democratic party makes me ill. I know I should move on - but that was truly awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... How much closer would that be to a filibuster-free House?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that in the paper and on AOL. I think he will either switch parties or retire. You missed the 3rd option, however. That he will become an Independent.

    I think they need 2 more for a philibuster free house...Specter and one more. Depending on how much longer Teddy Kennedy can serve, they might need 3 to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry......filibuster

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted Kennedy is a Senator so he doesn't count for a filibuster-free House. I have no idea what the numbers would be for a filibuster-free house, though!

    Specter as an Independent would be fine by me - his chances might be better for re-election in doing that. Although a three-person election would be hard to win. Although a lot of Pennsylvanians would probably just vote for Specter based on name recognition and the fact that he's been their Senator forever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm an idiot (no comments, please!). Both Ted Kennedy and Arlen Specter are Senators. I need to remember not to post when I have a bad headache and am not thinking clearly! Sorry about that Dottie654!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice prediction. Looks like Specter just switched.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Link to spector switch article:

    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/senate/specter-to-switch-parties.html

    ReplyDelete