Monday, March 16, 2009

Blog readers' homework

I use matching to see if my students know their vocabulary. I list the words on one side and the definitions on the other. Grading this can be mind numbing so I've learned it's easier if the answer spells something. Each letter can only be used once as in:
put down my sick zebra

my nut jobs like chad

the quick brown fad
"the quick brown fag" would also work but I can't bring myself to use it. Likewise, at my last employer I thought of "sexy hamilton buck" (or something really close to that.)

In economics classes I liked to use:
quick to feds plan b
Your assignment, should you choose to accept: Give me more phrases.

6 comments:

  1. Ranch fed top milk jugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid question here - but don't you need to have all the letters in your phrase? In the ones you have listed - there are missing letters between a and o.

    Also - do you think your students would ever catch on that it spells something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav was always the one you never used "hamilton suck"

    As for catching on, not until Steve told us that his matching spelled stuff did I ever start to look for it.

    Heck, most of his multiple choice is like ABCDDCBAABCDDCBA and most/all students never catch on (I know for 5 or so classes I never did)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mickey Wu Is Smarter Than Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I understand the assignment, teacher. What do you mean each letter can only be used once?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I ask for an extension?

    ReplyDelete