Saturday, March 28, 2009

Calling out your opponent face-to-face

Right wingers in the US have been talking about this for a week. British Conservative MP Daniel Hannan attacks Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the European Union parliament. The attack is unfair, unjustified, yet beautiful to watch:

At one time in my life I could have done this. In college I rather enjoyed reducing an opponent to tears. Perhaps it was compensating for being a walking doormat in high school.

Now I think, “What’s the point?” I still have the ability to defend myself but the “I’ll rip off your head and shit down your throat” attitude from A Few Good Men left me long ago.
*****
Back to the original point: Right wingers in the US have been talking about this for a week and lamenting that they have no leader like this guy.

Umm, yeah. You’re beholden to the batshit crazies of your party. Until you set them free like my side did Jessie Jackson and Dennis Kucinich you have no prayer of coming back to power.

1 comment:

  1. That was heart felt - I like it as long as the guy tried to talk to Mr. Prime Minister outside public before his passionate speech. Otherwise, I'd say it's pretty cowardly. I guess I'm a bigger fan of trying to resolve things one-on-one. But I understand it doesn't always work. This sort of thing in the US might make a good filibuster speech.

    ReplyDelete