Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fur ball

I attended a country club fundraiser to raise money for an animal shelter in Al Ain (there currently isn't one). I'm a sucker for country club fundraisers. One, they are a chance for just-above-white-trash like me to spend time in a place I could never afford to be a member. Second, they usually have a silent auction where donated items are put up for bid. And you can always get great deals at these auctions.For this event they didn't do an auction, they did a raffle. With 30 prizes they sold tickets. If your ticket was drawn you could pick a prize. I was lucky, but lucky late. The great prizes were taken early. I had two tickets drawn and ended up with a hand made dog bowl stand (don't tell Gus what he's getting) and a dinner for three from a place with a great reputation. Given that 7 of the ten at my table walked away empty handed I'll consider myself lucky and leave it at that.

The food was wonderful. At least a quarter of the people arrived after the dinner which meant there was more food for the rest of us. And we ate, and ate and ate. I was eating for a solid three hours... and long passed the comfortably full feeling. More than once I considered the bulimic option just so I could eat some more.

I took pictures of the display of desserts, cheeses, and entres but none of them turned out. Next year I'll bring my real camera.

One of the events was a faux fur contest where people displayed their fur that didn't harm any animals. The one male entrant (shown above) won.

No comments:

Post a Comment